January – June 2014
Prepared by Clayton R. Wright
This conference list, now in its 30th edition, covers events that primarily focus on the use of technology in educational settings and on teaching, learning, and educational administration.
The author of the list, Clayton R. Wright, has expertise in curriculum development, instructional design, educational technology, distance education, and professional development in Canadian and international settings. He has secondary and post-secondary teaching and administrative experience in Québec, Ontario and Alberta; has taught media courses at the University of Alberta; and, led the Instructional Media and Design team at Grant MacEwan College.
Wright undertakes extensive research to compile the list and verify the information and web addresses. This list provides extensive coverage of the period from January 2014 to June 2014, with some additional events until July 2016 included, but he advises caution with the later entries. The listings are only complete until June 2014. Events, dates, titles, and locations may also change and some events may be cancelled. We recommend that you check the specific conference website, not only for basic information, but to be sure that the conference is legitimate.
If there is an event missing from the list that you would highly recommend, Clayton Wright would be happy to hear from you and add it to the next version of this list.
Conferences that May Be Worth Your Time
In response to frequent requests to recommend conferences, Clayton has compiled lists of events that he would suggest. Although the choice ultimately depends on each individual’s interests and funding, he offers three lists of events to consider.
The first list features events in which he has participated, and/or those he would willing to be involved in organizing or pay for attendance with his own funds.
- American Society for Training and Development (ASTD), May
- Ed Media, organized by the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), June
- eLearning Africa, May
- DevLearn, organized by eLearning Guild, October
- Educa (Berlin), November/December
- EDUCAUSE, September/October
- International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE), date varies
- League for Innovation in the Community College, March
- Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning, organized by the Commonwealth of Learning, date varies
- Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE), March
- The Performance Improvement Conference, organized by the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI), April
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), October/November
Those in the second group were highly recommended to him and, in most cases, he contributed to conference papers, and/or viewed video-taped sessions or papers placed online.
- European Distance and e-Learning Network (EDEN), June
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), June
- MIT Learning International Networks Consortium (LINC), May/June
- Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), October to December
- Association for Learning Technology (UK), September
- Australasia Computing Education, January
- Brazilian Association of Distance Education, September
- E-Learn, organized by AACE, October
- Elliott Masie's Learning, November
- Emerging Technologies for Online Learning, organized by Sloan Consortium and MERLOT, April
- European Association of Distance and Teaching Universities (EADTU), October
- Global Time: Global Conference on Technology, Innovation, Media and Education, offered online in February
- Learning Solutions, organized by eLearning Guild, March
- New Learning Technologies Conference, organized by the Society for Applied Learning Technology (SALT), March
- Sloan Consortium Online Learning, November
- Training Conference and Expo, organized by Training Magazine, February
The third list highlights conferences that deal with teaching and learning in a wider sense than the applications of technology.
- Best Teachers Summer Institute, June
- International Institute for SoTL Scholars and Mentors (IISSAM), May/June
- National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), May
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), June
- Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), May
- Teaching Professor Conference, May/June
- Committee on College Teaching and Learning (CCTL) Conference, January
- Faculty Development Summer Institute on Active Learning and Teaching, July/August
- International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, April
- International Conference on Improving University Teaching, July
- International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association, January
- International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning (ISETL), October
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL), October
- International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching (ISATT), July
- Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, dates vary
- North American Council for Staff, Program and Organizational Development (NCSPOD), October
- Professional and Organizational Development (POD), October
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Commons, March
- Teaching Professor Technology Conference, October
Once you have selected a conference, he recommends that you read "How to Get the Most Out of a Conference" by Stephen Downes.